Minoxidil is available without a prescription as a 2% or 5% lotion or 5% foam. It is applied topically to the affected areas of the scalp, and is effective in both men and women. 5% Minoxidil has been demonstrated to provide greater stimulation of hair growth. It needs to be applied once or twice per day. Results take up to four months to see; and there may be some initial shedding of hair after commencement.
Side-effects can include- itching, irritation, and scaling of the skin (these are more common with the lotion than the foam).
Important information when using Minoxidil
- Avoid using this medication if your scalp is sunburned, irritated or damaged
- Avoid using for 3 weeks post-operatively following Hair Transplant Surgery, or 48 hours after our PRP Hair Restoration procedure as it involves Medical Grade Microneedling at depths between 1.0-1.5mm
- Do not use on other parts of the body
- As with any medication, Minoxidil requires regular application. Medication effects wear off, so ceasing treatment will result in the eventual return to your natural state of hair loss within about 3-6 months.
- No pharmacist or physician can know in advance whether Minoxidil will work for you or not. This treatment requires a dedicated trial of regular application over a few months.